5 Foods To Maximise Your Productivity
People often ask me how I keep up with my heavy work load and still stay healthy.
Here’s a really quick snapshot of 5 things I consume everyday to stay lean, healthy and full of energy so I can get through my work day with maximum productivity levels.
Check them out…
High in good fats that help keep inflammation under control – when the body is chronically inflamed, its in a highly stressed state and can’t function optimally, and can lead to brain fog, poor energy, poor mood and diseases, including cancer.
Avocados may help lower cardiovascular risk and hypertension containing more potassium than bananas and with 4gms of protein per avo.
Its a great way to help with regulate blood sugar levels (meaning more balanced energy and appetite) due to its high fibre content with about one cup of avocado providing 7-8gms.
Note – the greatest concentration of beneficial antioxidants are in the dark green fruit of the avocado closest to the peel, so don’t scoop it out cos you’ll miss the good bits. Make sure you peel it.
Broccoli contains Vitamin C, Vitamin A, K (to enhance brain function) and magnesium (which is great for relaxing your muscles and your mind) as well as calcium. Its high in folate which is a great brain nutrient.
High in antioxidants, broccoli is great for detoxification and contains phytochemicals called indoles that play a role in estrogen metabolism, which significantly reduces the risk of estrogen causing cancers such as breast & prostate cancer.
Be sure to eat the the stalks for the fibre, eat the florets and eat a cup a day – it will bulk your stool and help you to drop the kids off at the pool.
I steam my broccoli or my favourite of late is to burn it in the fry pan in grass fed butter so that just the ends tinge a little – it makes it crunchy with a delicious flavour.
On average I eat 2 – 3 eggs a day because they are easy to prepare, great for getting your nutrients and are so versatile.
The complete protein, keeps you fuller for longer and provides you with essential amino acids to help rebuild and grow your body. Also contains vitamin D and choline (essential for brain function, reducing inflammation, helps our cells communicate with each other and keeps our intestines move things along) both of which many Australians are deficient. AND…it comes a neat package of yolk + white to help your body to absorb the nutrients properly.
Note – EATING EGGS WILL NOT RAISE YOUR CHOLESTEROL for 75% of the population and for the other 25% it will not affect the ratio of good to “bad” cholesterol (meaning eating eggs will NOT give you a heart attack). So eat and be merry!
4. Coconut (everything)
My main cooking oil, the base of my sauces, the milk in my smoothies and the only moisturiser I use on my face and body.
Coconut oil is high medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCTs) – MCTS are sent to the liver and are to easy to breakdown meaning…they are turned to energy much more rapidly than other fats, just like glucose but without the insulin spike and without being stored as fat (which means the perfect source of energy!). It also helps to keep you full and to enhance your brain, increase fat burning and stay energised.
On the skin its anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial so by rubbing it into your skin before you leave for the day you are helping your skin to do its job of self defence from pathogens.
Try it in your morning coffee to help balance your hormones first thing in the morning and to kick that motor into gear.
I supplement with magnesium powder every night to help relax my muscles and my mind after a stressful day.
Many of us are deficient in magnesium as our soils are depleted meaning our food will be too. Magnesium is a mineral thats required for over 300 metabolic reactions in the body. Its a cofactor for many processes in the body – meaning without magnesium, these others won’t work properly. Magnesium works synergistically with calcium – whereas calcium comes into cells and facilitates the “fight or flight” part of the stress response and nerve cells begin firing and muscles tense up, Magnesium will have the opposite reaction and relaxes us. Magnesium is involved in blood pressure regulation, energy production and is great for treating constipation, stress and restless legs.
What do you eat everyday? Is there something you love to eat thats healthy and nutritious?