With Australia Day (Jan 26th) fast approaching, I wanted to make a recipe that was easy, Real and felt truly Aussie. My brain immediately went straight to the Anzac biscuit.
Whilst I realise Anzac biscuits are a traditional Anzac DAY treat, I think their history warrants a double use on Australia Day too.
The Anzac biscuit dates back to World War I when wives of soldiers wanted to send their men food treats that wouldn’t spoil. Since they are eggless, they travelled well and no doubt were well received by the men.
I know mine were well received when I came back into the kitchen after 20 minutes to find only a few crumbs where they once sat.
The original recipe has a lot of sugar, golden syrup and butter in it along with rolled oats. However, I wanted to make them Real, so…here are the chewy Anzacs without all the bad stuff. But remember, these still contain sugar so make sure you take that into consideration in your daily intake. *See note below.
I chose to use pecans in mine in place of just almonds because I eat so many these days, but you could keep it simple and just use all almonds if you like.
Happy Australia Day everyone!
- 1 C Almond Meal
- 1/2 C Flaked Almonds
- 1/2 C Activated Pecans
- 1 C Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 tsp of Ginger Powder
- 1/4 C Honey
- 1/4 C Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 TB of water
- 1. Preheat the oven to 120
- 2. Combine almond meal, almonds, ginger and shredded coconut in a large bowl
- 3. Melt honey and oil in a small pot over low heat
- 4. Mix the baking soda and water into the honey mixture until gets a slight froth
- 5. Add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients and mix
- 6. Using wet hands, form cookies by placing small balls of biscuits onto a lined biscuit tray then flattening with the back of a fork (they will be slightly crumbly to work with)
- 7. Bake in an oven of 120°C for 20 minutes or until brown all over
- 8. Let them cool and don't touch them (they will harden as they cool)
- You could opt to use all almonds or other crushed nuts instead of pecans, but I like my pecans and find I eat too many almonds as is!