Brussels Sprouts Meets Bacon
On my mission to try to eat vast and varied foods, I have decided to rekindle my passion for brussels sprouts. Now I know what you are thinking…”No way, I’m not going near them!”. As a kid, I used to screw my nose up about these little green buggers, but not anymore! With this recipe, I have found a way to make them taste delicious without the bitter taste and without making me want to throw them over my shoulder while my mum isn’t looking. Gosh…such a naughty girl I was.
I think the trick to it is the shredding at the start, it makes them look less like brussels sprouts and tastes less like them too.
Anyhoo, these taste lovely and they are truly easy and quick to make. I’m noticing a bit of a theme here with my recipes, they are all quick and easy. Well…why make things harder than they should be?? Enjoy the recipe!
- 15 Brussels Sprouts, washed (approx)
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts, chopped roughly
- 2 Slices of Bacon, diced (free range, sugar free, nitrate free)
- Salt, Pepper to taste
- 1 Tb Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Tb Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for dressing and used cold only)
- 1. Place the brussels in a food processor and shred to pieces (or cut by hand if you prefer)
- 2. In a naked fry pan, fry up your bacon till crispy
- 3. To the fry pan, add the brussels and cook on low for about 3-5 mintues, then set aside
- 4. To a separate naked fry pan, add the walnuts and dry roast until lightly browned
- 5. In a bowl, mix the bacon and brussels mixture with the walnuts
- 6. In a separate small bowl, add the dressing mixture, stir until combined
- 7. Pour your dressing over your brussels as they are served
- You might think you need a lot of salt here to flavour the brussels, but the bacon adds the needed salt so its really not necessary.