Chilli Chicken Burger with Zucchini Walnut Salad
I keep hearing clients tell me that they don’t know HOW they could possibly include more vegetables in their life. I hear them whinge “veggies? Oh…they are just so boring.”
I like to tell people to eat as many vegetables as they can. The health benefits of eating vegetables every day is well known.
But do you know HOW many servings of veggies we are meant to consume a day? And what actually is a serving?
Plus, check out below an awesome, sexy chicken burger with a wild side salad that will help you meet your veggie quota!
Whilst it is recommended that we consume 5 servings of veggies a day, which translates to about 2.5 cups of cooked veggies, around 40% of Australian adults eat NO vegetables across the entire day and usually consume no fruit either.
According to the Australian Bureau of statistics, only 5.5% of Aussie adults met the recommended daily intake of fruit and vegetables. 5.5%! Seriously!
Lets sit on that for a minute…
Only 5.5% of Australian adults are getting 5 servings of vegetables!!!
That is just insane.
So…to help beat those odds and to help all of you to make sure you are not in the other less healthy 94.5%, I made this delicious chicken burger with extra veggies and a nice healthy and fun carrot salad with a zucchini walnut salad on the side. This meal alone, gave me my 2.5 servings in one sitting.
Now tell me you don’t know how to get your 5 serves a day!
No excuses people. It’s time to raise your standards and eat better.
Lecture over. Here’s the recipe!
- 500g Free Range Chicken Mince
- 1/2 Red Capsicum (approx 1 Cup)
- 2 Spring Onions, chopped finely
- 1 Birds Eye Chilli, chopped finely (use the seeds if you want it extra hot)
- 1 TB Ginger Powder
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped finely
- Handful of Coriander
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 TB Coconut Oil, to fry
- 2 Zucchinis
- 1 C Roasted Walnuts
- Parmesan Cheese, slices of
- 4 TB Wild Olive Oil (I use Kangaroo Island Wild Olive Oil - its amazing!)
- 1/2 Lemon, Juice of
- 2 Carrots, spiralised or shredded
- Topped with Wild Olive Oil & Coriander leaves
- 1. Place all of your burger ingredients in a large bowl and using your hands, mix all together nicely making sure you squeeze it together so the flavours combine
- 2. In a fry pan on low heat, heat your coconut oil
- 3. Make burger size patties in the palm of your hand out of the mixture, making sure to flatten them so they will cook evenly
- 4. Place the burgers in the pan and cook turning when browned
- 5. Meanwhile, using a potato peeler, slice your zucchinis lengthwise to get long fettucini like strips. Place into a bowl
- 6. In a small bowl, mix your oil with your lemon juice and stir
- 7. Pour the dressing over the zoodles and make sure they are well coated
- 8. Lay a handful of the zoodles on the plate, add the walnuts and parmesan
- 9. Once the burgers are cooked, add to your plate and top with a slice of lime and avocado
- 10. Enjoy!
- If you wet your hands slightly when making the patties, they won't stick to your hands.