Choc Crunch Protein Bars
I love to make nourishing snacks to keep around the house to ward off the dreaded hunger pains.
These Choc Crunch Protein Bars are so darn tasty and they have the extra added punch of whey protein to ensure you give your body what it needs to get through the day.
I prefer to use grassfed whey protein powder as its a high quality form of protein powder that supplies the body with all of the essential amino acids that the body needs to rebuild, heal and thrive.
Whey protein isolate is one of the best protein powders to use since its easily digested and has one of the highest PDCAAS (Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score). It’s also a great source of BCAAs that are great for building those muscles, not to mention for energy during your hardcore workouts.
Just be sure to check the ingredients of the whey you purchase to make sure no nasty additives or extra sugar has been added.
- 2 cups of raw or toasted nuts (ie 1 Cup of cashews and 1 Cup of hazelnuts )
- 3/4 cup whey protein powder, neutral/unflavoured
- 1 heaped cup of shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup nut butter or peanut butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup cacao butter (or just double the coconut butter)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 TB honey (optional if you like your bars a bit sweeter, or use rice malt syrup).
- 1. Blend both nuts in the food processor until chopped to roughly chopped, but not too fine (so it still has crunch and holds the bar together)
- 2. To the mixture, add in the rest of the dry ingredients and mix
- 3. Melt the coconut oil/butters and nut butter in a small bowl in the microwave until just melted, softened
- 4. Add the wet to the dry bowl and mix together well
- 5. Taste and test your mixture - if its too dry, add some extra coconut oil. If its too wet, add some extra almond meal.
- 6. Line a small square pan with baking paper and tip in the mixture in, pressing it down and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Try to make it as flat as you can.
- 7. Put the pan in to the freezer for 15 - 20 minutes, or until set and then remove and slice into desired size.
- Store in the fridge.
- Makes about 30 small bite size slices, but they are so good that they will go fast!