Double Layer Coconut Custard – Paleo, AIP
Day 2 of my AIP 30 days.
And what do you know, I was struck down by a really bad, killer flu. In fact, the flu was the worst I have ever experienced in my life. I spent the last entire 8 days on my back unable to barely breathe, let alone move one of which was spent in the emergency room due to my throat being so inflamed that I stopped breathing. More on that soon…
So although I didn’t get far into my AIP experience due to being pretty much unable to eat or move to make my own foods that I was able to consume, I still want to create AIP recipes that will help my gut lining to heal. Heck knows, after such a bad virus I need all the healing I can get!
Now I wanted to create a recipe that I could use as a snack but also as a breakfast option that contained protein but not meat.
This is what I came up with…
A double layered coconut custard. Its Paleo. Its Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) friendly. Its thick just like custard with a slight wobble like jelly and its tasty!
Next time I will try a variety of flavours such as a cacao layer or a nut butter layer but this one was pretty tasty and I loved the slightly wobbly texture.
*A tablespoon of gelatin is between 6 -9g protein.
Try it out and let me know what you think.
- 1 Can Coconut Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Grassfed Gelatin
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Raw Honey (or to taste)
- 1 Avocado, peeled and seeded.
- 1. In a small pot add the can of coconut cream, vanilla and the gelatin - and let sit for a minute
- 2. Turn on the heat on medium and whisk the gelatin into the cream (don't let it boil). Should only take a minute
- 3. Take off the heat and tip half of the contents into the food processor with the avocado and honey and process until smooth
- 4. Pour the remaining half of coconut cream still in the pot into appropriate glass serving glasses and place into fridge to set
- 5. Once the coconut cream is set, pour the avocado layer onto the coconut base and place back into the fridge to set
- 6. Once set, serve with toasted coconut and raspberries