Espresso Pecan N Blueberry Brownie Cups with Coconut Cream
Sometimes in life, things don’t turn out as you had planned.
Sometimes you try to save money by colouring your hair at home and the cap leaks and bleach runs all over your scalp so your Mum has to use a paint brush to literally paint on darker dye so you can show yourself in public again. True story.
Sometimes in the kitchen you try to make a measly brownie, only to end up with flat, flying saucers with crunchy rims.
So what do you do when shit happens? Do you cry, scream, complain?
Here’s what I did…
Life seems to be teaching me a lesson lately and that lesson is trying to seek out the humour in a shitty situation. Laugh at life and laugh at yourself. And then turn your shitty situation into a positive, less shitty one.
Like Mr Squiggle turning a mere squiggle on a page into a work of art, stand back and smile, take a breath and then make art from the pile of shit that stands before you.
I wish I had taken a photo of the failed brownies. For once in my life I decided to follow an American recipe and used Australian products that clearly didn’t quite equate to the Americanised versions. The end result was laughable. I was planning on using the pretty brownies at a picnic and wanted them to be the star of the show, but these flying saucers would have made me a laughing stock.
So…I challenged myself to get creative and to make something out of the failure. I crumbled them into a pretty cup, made some coconut whipped cream and homemade dark chocolate syrup and the end result was a masterpiece.
And in the end, I think the cups were better than the brownies ever could have been.
The moral of this story…
- 1 C Coconut Butter, melted
- 3 Eggs, Free Range
- 1/2 C Raw Organic Honey
- 1 C Blueberries
- 1 C Pecans, crushed
- 1/4 C Organic Cacao Powder
- 1 TB Cinnamon
- 1 TB Ground Organic Coffee
- 2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Can of Coconut Cream, opened and refrigerated overnight (or real cream)
- Shredded coconut
- 1/2 C Cacao Powder plus 1 TB (makes it a bit thicker!)
- 1/2 C Cacao Butter, melted
- 2-3 TB Raw Honey or Rice Malt Syrup
- 1. Preheat oven to 180°C
- 2. Place all ingredients for the brownies, except the blueberries, together in a mixing bowl
- 3. Mix all your ingredients until well blended
- 4. Fold in the blueberries gently
- 5. Pour the batter into a greased 9×13 baking dish (grease with coconut oil) or into greased individual mini muffin pans
- 6. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes. At about 25 minutes, do the toothpick test
- 7. Remove from oven, let cool
- 8. Meanwhile, make the chocolate topping by add all chocolate ingredients together in a small bowl and mixing well
- 9. Remove the can of coconut cream from the fridge being careful not to mix the watery milk with the thickened, set cream on the top
- 10. whip the cream with a hand mixer until fluffy. Or you can use real cream and whip adding 2 TB of raw honey to the mixture.
- 11. Once brownies have cooled completed, crumble them into an appropriate single serving cup and add your whipped cream, chocolate syrup and shredded coconut
- 12. Serve with a spoon and a smile!
- I made a variety of toppings for my brownie cups, some without cream, some with and others with real cream instead. All are delicious, especially with the homemade choc syrup on top!