Halloween Spidery Pumpkin Cupcakes
As part of the healthy Halloween range, I made these yummy, chocolate spider cupcakes with a twist!
Made from spiders? No, not quite! But you can tell the kids that. Mwahahahaha!
I wanted orange frosting so as to resemble pumpkins on Halloween, so I used sweet potato and turmeric in the mixture to make it nice and bright! It’s truly out there, but it works.
The texture of the frosting was quite strange – with every bite I was confused because my brain was thinking “here comes sugary frosting”, but my mouth was tasting something very to the frosting I was used to. Still, I tested them out on a few guests and they seemed happy with them.
I topped mine with toy spiders to add the Halloween touch, but you could have fun with your creations and make faces or tombstones or any other scary prop!
Try them out!
- 1 C Almond Flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 C Shredded Coconut, Unsweetened • 3 TB Cacao Powder
- 2 TB Coconut Oil
- 2 TB Cacao Butter
- 1/2 C Coconut Milk
- 2 TB Honey or Maple
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- For the Frosting...
- 1 Sweet potato, boiled and mashed
- 2 - 3 TB Maple syrup (depending on sweetness of potatoes)
- 2 TB Tapioca Starch
- ½ Tsp Turmeric (for orange colouring)
- 1. Place a can of Coconut Milk or Cream in the fridge overnight for the frosting
- 2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- 3. Place the oil and butter into a small bowl and heat slightly until melted
- 4. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients - the first 4 ingredients
- 5. In another bowl, combine the oils and butter mixture, egg, milk, extract and honey
- 6. Add the wet to the dry mixture and stir until combined and lumps have been stirred out
- 7. In a cupcake lined muffin tray, pour the chocolaty mixture 3/4 full in each hole
- 8. Bake in the oven for approximately 20- 25 minutes (15-20 for mini cakes) or until the top springs back when touched
- 9. Cool the cupcakes and begin working on the frosting
- 10. For the frosting, combine the mashed sweet potato, maple syrup, tapioca starch and turmeric in a food processor, and process until smooth. Cool.
- 2. Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes, or just slather on and serve.