“Let Them Eat Zucchini Cake!”
Ok people, stop everything! I made these babies today for lunch and I would like to pause for a second in their memory, for they were truly delish.
Ok thats enough. But boy were they good! So simple and easy to make, and they can really be topped with anything you have in the fridge – cherry tomatoes, spinach, bacon.
I rummaged through my fridge and found 1 poor little lone zucchini, some eggs and a bit of sugar free, nitrate free bacon and thought what can I make? Hmmm…lets make cakes! I only added a pinch of coconut flour to the egg and zucchini mixture, which did give it a slightly sweet taste, but I think you could easily use almond meal instead. In fact, that is how I will make them next time to see how they turn out.
Alright, alright, enough chit chat…here’s the recipe.
- 1 Tb Coconut Flour, sifted
- 3 Eggs, Free range
- 1 Zucchini, shredded and water squeezed out (about 2 Cups)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bacon for topping, sugar free, nitrate free *optional
- 1 Spring Onion, finely sliced
- Coconut Oil for frying, or use the bacon fat
- 1. Place the sifted flour and eggs together and beat until combined
- 2. Add the zucchini and mix and salt/pepper to taste
- 3. In a fry pan on medium heat, fry your bacon
- 4. Put the bacon to the side and using the fat in the pan, place a ladle full of cake mixture
- 5. Once browned, flip and brown the other side
- 6. Serve with bacon, spring onion and voila...instant zucchini cakes!
- The cake mixture may seem too watery, but they will hold together. Just give it a try!
- You can also add tahini dressing as a topping - I had some leftover and they complemented each other nicely.