Introducing the healthier version of the macaroon.
Not the macaron. The macaroon. Simply add an extra O and you have a completely different outcome.
This special treat is easy to make with simple ingredients that you probably already have at home and its quick (not to mention tasty).
These macaroons always go quickly at parties and when entertaining, so you might want to double the recipe!
The recipe does still contain honey which can influence your blood sugar levels, so if you are trying to control your insulin, perhaps use Rice Malt Syrup, or only have one little measly ball. Ha…yeah right!
Try them out and let me know what you think.
- 1 1/2 C Coconut, Desiccated Unsweetened
- 2 Egg Whites, Free Range
- 2 TB Raw Honey (or Rice Malt Syrup)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract, Pure
- Optional - 1 TB Coconut Cream
- 1. Preheat Oven to 180 degrees celsius
- 2. Place all of the ingredients into a medium bowl
- 3. Mix until all combined
- 4. Using your hands, roll the mixture into golf ball sizes and squeeze to get it to stick together
- 5. Place balls on a tray lined with baking paper and bake for 10 - 15 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don't brown too quickly
- 6. Let them cool as they will go crunchy with a nice chewy centre and serve!
- I tried these with the coconut cream and without, both were delicious it simply depends on the consistency of your mixture and that will depend on the brand of coconut you buy. Enjoy!