Raw, Vegan, Paleo Chocolate Banana Pie
Say what now?! Is that even possible?
Yes indeed it is. And yes indeed it is delicious.
For those of you who have two left feet in the kitchen, perhaps its not the simplest of recipes, but its not overly complicated either. If you have a little patience, have the ingredients and can press the ‘on’ button for your food processor…you can make this pie! Hey, batter batter batter batter sah-wing-a, batter! (sorry had a little outburst there).
And if you make this pie for someone you love, I don’t doubt that it will put a smile on that persons dial. I made this for my sister and I hope it makes her smile.
I know it will.
Smile people. Life is beautiful!
- 2 C Pecans, Raw (or roasted)
- 1 1/2 C Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 TB Ground Flaxseed
- 4 TB Rice Malt Syrup (or honey if you prefer)
- 2 TB Coconut Oil, melted
- 3 Banana, ripe
- 1/4 C White Chia Seeds
- 1 TB Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 1/2 C Raw Cashews
- 2 TB Rice Malt Syrup
- 1 TB Cacao Powder
- 1. Process the pecans and coconut until the nuts have nicely chopped
- 2. Add the other crust ingredients and mix again until a sticky crust like consistency
- 3. Spread a little coconut oil on a pie tin (I use the pop out middle tins for ease of removal)
- 4. Pour the crust mixture into the pie and using your hands press into the base and corners. You want it flat and into the edges
- 5. Pop that into the freezer
- 6. Righto, pop your bananas and cashews into a clean bowl of the processor and mix
- 7. Once the cashews have become a creamy soft mixture with the banana add in the rest of the filling ingredients and mix!
- 8. Grab your pie base out of the freezer and add the filling to the pie making sure you don't pour over the edges
- 9. Lick the bowl. Its delicious!
- 10. Pop the pie into the freezer for 3 hours
- 11. Meanwhile, melt some 85%+ dark chocolate (one without sugar or milk preferably) and drizzle over the pie
- 12. Slice and serve!
- I opted to use Rice Malt Syrup here for the sweetener because I didn't want too much of an insulin high considering I was using banana already.