Spiced Chicken with Kale Salad and Avocado Dressing
I think Kale (Brassica oleracea) should be a staple vegetable in everyone’s diet.
I hear a lot of you say, ‘Kale? Are you serious?!’
Well yes folks, I am.
If you are one of those people who still cling to your iceberg lettuce and say ‘but its better than a packet of chips’, well yes, I am sure it is, but Kale trumps iceberg lettuce, three fold. Time to ditch the boring iceberg lettuce people, and expand your food repertoire.
Kale’s Health Benefits:
- Kale is great in assisting detoxification pathways
- Anti-cancerous, anti-inflammatory and full of anti-oxidants
- According to one site, it only takes 100 calories/418kJ (that’s approx 3 cups) of kale to meet omega-3 fatty acid requirements
- Cholesterol-lowering ability
- High in Vitamin K, A and C and in calcium, folic acid, potassium, iron and fiber
- Per calorie, has more calcium than milk
- Studies show it can accelerate the wound healing process
So next time you reach for your safety blanket – the stale, boring, iceberg lettuce, rethink your choice and grab kale instead. You will do your body a favour. Besides, life is too short to keep doing the same thing, over and over again. It’s time to step outside your food comfort zone and try out something new. Stop being so boring already!!
You can use Kale in your freshly squeezed juices, raw in a salad, baked as chips, in a quiche instead of spinach or simply in a stir fry. The options are endless.
This recipe is a very basic chicken salad, but with a twist! I used Kale instead of iceberg (such a rebel!) and it’s topped with a homemade avocado dressing. Now I won’t get into a long rant, but I have a growing hatred for store bought dressings – they are expensive and are full of crap like sugar and preservatives. Why would you buy a commercial dressing when you can so easily create your own at home?!
Time to stop being lazy folks and start pushing yourself a bit more in the kitchen! You won’t regret it once you start.
- 2 Chicken Breasts, Free Range,
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- Oil for the pan (Coconut oil preferably)
- 10 Stems of Kale, washed and destemmed
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 C Pistachios, raw, unsalted
- 1/2 Large Avocado
- 1/2 C Greek Yoghurt (See note)
- 1 Tb Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lemon, juice of
- 1 tsp Garlic minced (or garlic powder)
- 1/2 C Basil leaves, fresh
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 TB Chives, chopped for decoration
- 1. Mix your spices for your chicken and press the chicken into the spice on both sides. Let it sit in the spices until you are ready to cook.
- 2. For the salad, chop your kale roughly into small pieces and divide evenly onto each serving plates
- 3. Add your cherry tomatoes to the salad and sprinkle with pistachios
- 4. Either cook your chicken in the fry pan on medium to low turning once, or in the grill being careful not to burn or dry out the chicken
- 5. While your chicken is cooking, place the dressing ingredients into the food processor and blend until all combined and the dressing is smooth
- 6. Slice the chicken and place it over the kale and drizzle with the dressing
- 7. Eat!
- I had extra dressing leftover, which I love because I can use it for other quick dishes throughout the week.
- If you are vegan, or just prefer not to have yoghurt, you could perhaps try to substitute it with coconut cream or even go without and just add more EVOO.