Summer Prawn Salad with Chilli Mango Dressing
I love to share tasty, healthy recipes with people. Hence why I started this website.
But you know what I love even more? When someone shares a good recipe with me!
My girlfriend sent me this the other night and I thought I would try it out. I ended up amending it slightly to put my mark on it (as I like to do) and now I am sharing it with you. The change I made to the original recipe, was adding my own mango dressing instead of simply putting slices of the mango into the salad. Both work, but I felt the mango dressing was sexier!
I rated it a 9.5 out of 10. My husband would have rated it the same, but I forgot to devein the prawns and so he ended up eating their poop! hehehe…yesss…”forgot”. 🙂
This light salad has a playful bacon flavour that is balanced well by the sweet and spicy dressing. The dressing is fresh and full of summer flavours and you can store the leftovers in the fridge for other salads throughout the week. I’m going to use it on my chicken salad tonight! Snap!
Get it into you folks!
- 12-15 Fresh Raw Prawns, Shelled, Deveined
- 150g Baby Spinach, Washed
- 2 Rashers of Free Range Bacon, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado, Sliced
- Optional - Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 Lime, juice of
- 1/2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Fresh Mango (ripe)
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Chilli Flakes (or real chilli)
- 1. Prepare your salad by placing the washed spinach in a large serving bowl with the sliced avocado and tomatoes, if using
- 2. Begin frying your bacon with the red onion (use the fat from the bacon as your oil!) until crispy and onion is cooked
- 3. Whilst cooking the bacon, place the two mangoes into the food processor with the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth
- 4. Place the cooked bacon and onion into the salad bowl
- 5. Cook your prawns in the same pan until cooked, about 4-6 minutes depending on the size
- 6. Place the prawns in your salad bowl
- 7. Using a spoon drizzle your mango dressing over the salad and serve!
- I only used a small amount of dressing for the photo (as it looks better) but ended up using A LOT more when I ate it, as it was simply delicious. You will have a lot remaining so store the leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container and use throughout the week over other salads.
- NOTE - when buying prawns, consider the environment and try to buy sustainable prawns from your local fishery instead of overseas frozen prawns!