The Naked B.L.T
BLT. The famous Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. Let’s think about this…its a BLT, its not a BLTS. Somewhere along the line, we have added bread to the mix to make it into a BLT Sandwich. It really doesn’t have the same ring to it does it?
Being someone who doesn’t eat grains, means no bun or bread to hold the BLT anyway, but that certainly does not mean that I am going to miss out on eating a BLT. No siree Bob! In fact, recreating a BLT without the crappy bun, means that I have a more concentrated BLT…more flavour, more crunch, more nutrition, more fun! Naked fun! I say naked, because this BLT is naked. Not because I eat them naked. Although, if anyone does eat one naked, please do report back and let me know how that went for you. 🙂
You have to admit that there is something about picking up your food with two hands, and shovelling it in with juice dripping down your hands. You know what I’m talking about. I am not about to miss out on that!
So this is a true BLT, without the sandwich or bun or any grain for that matter. And you know what? I didn’t miss it at all. The lettuce becomes the structural support for your BLT, instead of your bread and it works just as well!
You can opt to have two eggs to fill you up and you can add some Brussels Sprouts Meets Bacon if you want to really lift your BLT to a new dimension.
- 1 Free range egg
- 2 Strips of sugar-free, nitrate-free, free range bacon (thats a lot of "free's")
- 1 Leaf of lettuce (romaine, cos, iceberg - whatever you fancy)
- 2 Thin slices of tomato
- 1 Spring onion
- Pepper, to taste
- 1. Wash the lettuce, dry and place the leaf you are going to use on your plate
- 2. Slice up your spring onion nice and thin (it always looks better thin) and set aside
- 3. Slice your tomato and put aside
- 4. Fry your bacon, naked on a pan
- 5. Once crispy, remove the bacon and set aside
- 6. Using the same pan, with the bacon fat still in the fry pan, fry your eggs to your liking
- 7. Stack your BLT - lettuce first, then tomato, egg followed by bacon
- 8. Top your BLT with sprinkles of spring onion
- Optional - you can use the Brussels Sprouts and Bacon recipe to fill the dish if you like and make that the second layer, underneath your tomato. Or you can simply add an extra egg.
- Don't serve the BLT with cutlery...make your guests use their hands and watch their faces as the yolk and tomato juice dribbles down their arms! Especially funny if they are naked and have nothing to wipe it up with. Tehehehe...ahhh, good ole kitchen humour!!