Zucchini Boats (Paleo)
I am always on the look out for easy to prepare meals that are healthy and that cater to my real food only lifestyle.
This recipe is one of my favourites because like a pizza, you can change the toppings so easily and end up with a completely different meal.
Zucchini boats. Because sometimes a girl wants pizza but without the bloating and unhealthy consequences…
Try out any pizza topping and see what creation you like best.
- 2 Zucchini (long, straight and flat ones for easy cutting)
- 1 kg Grassfed Beef Mince
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Passata
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Brown Onion, diced
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Cherry Tomatoes, handful
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese
- 1. Preheat Your Oven to 180 Degrees
- 2. Prepare your zucchini boats by halving lengthways and scooping out the centres leaving enough room around the border to keep the zucchini firm. Keep the filling to add to your mince.
- 3. Place your boats into the oven while you prepare your mince filling
- 4. In a fry pan on medium heat, add some coconut oil
- 5. Add your onion and garlic and the leftover zucchini filling and fry until just cooked
- 6. Add in the mince and fry breaking up the mince chunks with your spatula until browned through
- 7. To the mince, add the passata to give it a little moisture and your spices and spinach and mix until cooked.
- 8. Remove the boats from your oven and add the cooked mince, and your chosen toppings and put back into the oven for 5 minutes to cook
- 9. Place your cooked boats on a plate and serve with a side of guacamole and salsa.
- Why not add some guacamole?! Simply put 2 avocados into the food processor and whizz up with 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 a red onion, cumin, salt, a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and if you like 1/4 - 1/2 Cup of plain Greek Yoghurt. Delish!